Thursday, June 11, 2009

A Dream Come True

 

The best part of planning a wedding is sampling food for your reception. Being gluten free…yeah, that makes it harder. But when I got an email letting me know about a gluten free bakery that could ship me samples, I came to the realization that my wedding planning isn’t harder, just different.

Blackbird Bakery

Austin Native Karen Morgan started Blackbird Bakery in 2008, a gourmet bake shop that offers only GLUTEN FREE goodies. Karen herself was diagnosed with Celiac Disease in 2002. I like knowing that the person in charge truly understands where I’m coming from with my intolerance. I often wonder when I purchase “gluten free” items from bakeries if they’ve taken every precaution.

blackbirdexcited2 

I’ve always known that I don’t want a typical wedding cake. I really like the idea of serving shortbread, pound cake, or pies. Blackbird Bakery offers pretty much anything your heart desires. I was going to save my favorite for last…but nah, I can’t wait!!

My Favorite:

blackbird_almondkisslogo

blackbirdalmondkisswhole

Before I bit into these little bites of heaven, I didn’t read the ingredients. So imagine my surprise when I found Maraschino Cherries in the center!!

blackbirdalmondkissopen

SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO good. My absolute favorite!! I want more!!

blackbirdmaxnp

After the kisses, I was literally on cloud 9. So I thought I would be nice and let Parrish and Max have the first taste of the GF banana bread.

blackbirdpecanbanbread

Unbelievably moist. Melt in your mouth soft. Sweet but with the perfect balance of pecan. Parrish and I both LOVED it. However, his favorite was hands down the brownie!

blackbird bakery 046

The perfect mixture of crisp edges and fudgy goodness. I’m pretty sure that I could have eaten it all in one sitting…but Parrish finished it off before I had the chance for seconds!

Another item that I’m thinking about for the wedding was the biscotti!! I could eat these with coffee pretty much every morning.

blackbird_chocbisc

blackbird_chocbiscunwrap

Chocolate. Tasty with chunks of almond and actual bits of granulated sugar!

blackbirdbiscotti

blackbirdbiscottilong

Classic. Delicious! (And absolutely no way ANYONE would know it’s GF)

blackbirdchocchip

Chocolate Chip Cookies!! Crispy, buttery, and just enough chocolate chips. And it must be said: I have had a ton of REALLY crappy gluten free cookies this past year. These made up for each one of those.

blackbirdmilletopen

Millet Power Bars: part delicious childhood treat, part grown up snack. You can’t beat big chunks of real cherries!

So there you have it! Gluten free Gourmet!! And really, who deserves gourmet more than gluten free folks?! We get the short end of the stick so often!!

As for those almond kisses…do you think I could add a case to my wedding registry? :)

blackbirdteaser

2 comments:

  1. Aww.. you are having way too much fun! I LOVE the pic of Max & Parrish! Too funny.

    Looks yummilishous!

    ReplyDelete
  2. hey... you can definitely use my post :)

    ReplyDelete